Thursday, April 12, 2007

Our first day at prenatal class

We went to our prenatal class last night and were very happy with what we learned. There are 11 other pregnant ladies there with us, so it is a pretty full class. Two moms are due in May, a few in June and the rest in July. It is nice to see other round bellies and realize that I am very comparable to them with my belly size. We talked a lot about the stages of labor, relaxationa and breathing techniques. We also talked about worries we all have and basically in a nut shell what to expect. Even though every delivery is different, it was nice to hear what other moms and dads were concerned with. We watched a video that followed a woman through all her labor stages and the delivery and for some reason that was the first time that it really hit me that I am having a baby. I know that he kicks all the time and that is a reminder and all the doctor appointments, but when I was watching someone else do that and thought about myself in about two months, give or take a few weeks, I got really excited and honestly really scared, which is very natural. I just want to experience it all and meet my little boy. I have no idea how my body is going to react. Because of that Ryan and I need to prepare ourselves to the best we can.

Now for an update on Matthew. He is about 4 pounds now and about 19 inches long from crown to feet (according to my books), but let me tell you in this small torso I have he feels much bigger and longer. Maybe it is the big feet he has. He is very active, especially after dinner. I am starting to notice more movements while at work too. It is funny, because during certain times in my routine at school he reacts that same every day. For example, when we do calendar and the whole class is saying "today is thursday..." he starts kicking and moving. I am not sure if he likes the noise of the kids. He settles down when it is independent work time, but wiggles around more when it is noiser in the room and there is more going on. My students think it is really cool and they keep telling me how "fat" I am getting. Nice! Other than that he is very healthy and the doctors think everything is going smoothly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad your pre-natal class went well! It is amazing the stuff about pregnancy that people don't talk about... some of it is just so bizarre... The whole act of birth seems so alien to me... and really, really cool.