Thursday, April 19, 2007

We finished our prenantal classes last night!

We finished our prenatal class last night. We talked more about breathing techniques to use in the different stages of labor. We also watched a movie about interventions and medications during labor. It discussed the pros and cons of each and the video showed how each procedure was done, with was very helpful. We also watched a short video on c-sections. We also got to tour the new section of the hospital for the babies. It officially opened to patients this past Monday (April 16th). The new wing at Bronson is the "old" part of the hospital, completely remodeled and redone.

The new wing is very nice. The labor and devliery rooms are well equipped with just about everything you would need both for me and Ryan. The delivery rooms are quite large allowing for space for all the nurses, doctors and Ryan to move around in. The recovery rooms are also very nice and spacious. There is also a larger hydrotherapy room to use if I wish. Each room comes with a tub though. The tub was not the biggest one, but I could easily fit, so I can use that if I wish too. Each delivery room has a DVD player and television. I reassured Ryan that the DVD player was for playing music to help us relax instead of watching a movie! Just kidding, he knew that. Each room is also equipped with thier own baby scale, measuring tools and warmer, so they don't have to hunt for things when you are ready to deliver.

They were very busy last night. Only one labor and delivery room was open and only a few recovery rooms with a few more moms waiting in triage to be admitted. While we were walking through the hospital we saw a lot of brand new babies with thier little button noses and loud cries! We walked past the nursery, but it is protected by security, so we couldn't see all the babies there. The new security is also nice. Every baby has an ankle bracelet and if the baby gets too close to a door, the wing goes into lock down and security is there in a heartbeat. I guess this has happened by accident a few times this week by accident while the nurses get aquanted with how close they can get to the doors with the babies. Matthew will also gets wrist bands that match me as well. Each nursing station has a large monitor with all the babies and mother's heartrates, so they can monitor us from thier stations too.

It is very exciting to think that we will be there very soon! I go to the doctor this afternoon for a bi-weekly appointment then I am off to Western for my LAST class of my grad program. We are very excited here, well except for the fact that I have to start paying back my loans next month, but that was expected. Take care!

No comments: